Physical damage to the pallet rack
Often this damage occurs from lift truck collisions. Sufficient clearance space and clear aisles are both great ways to prevent this kind of damage. Always encourage employees to promptly report all minor impacts or observable damage.
Misaligned Racking Safety Hazard
This can cause collapse or failure of your pallet racking system. During inspection, use the manufacturer’s instructions to check that racks are properly aligned, plum, and level.
Loose Floor Fittings
OSHA is clear that rack columns are bottom-anchored to the floor with column base plates secured with anchor bolts.
Suitability of forklift truck
Your material handling equipment and pallet jacks should be sized to meet your needs.
Weight of stored goods versus capacity of racking system
To prevent dangerously overloaded racks, ANSI/RMI MH16.1 suggests posting the maximum permissible unit load, average unit load, and maximum total load per bay.
In the end, whether your racks are damaged, overloaded, improperly anchored or misaligned, they’re a serious safety hazard that can result in serious injury. OSHA recommends warehouse managers develop a thorough maintenance and inspection program. Be liberal with safety audits that include everything from pallet rack signage all the way up your material handling equipment.
Could a pallet shuttle racking system help your warehouse to save money and become more efficient?
The type of racking system installed in your warehouse has a significant impact on its overall performance. Your racking will affect both the volume of stock that you are able to store and how efficiently your warehouse operates.
Busy warehouses that experience a high turnover and are stocking and retrieving pallets very frequently may find that pallet shuttle racking can greatly increase their efficiency and productivity levels.
What is pallet shuttle racking?
Pallet shuttle racking systems use remotely controlled semi-automated shuttles to stock and retrieve pallets instead of forklift trucks.
The system can be operated as either FIFO or LIFO and will generally place the picked load in the first available free space.
Pallet shuttle racking is also suitable for use in extreme temperatures including freezer chambers of up to -30 degrees Celsius.
Benefits of pallet shuttle racking
- Reduces the risk of accidents – Replacing forklifts with remotely controlled shuttles reduces the risk of collisions and accidents occurring in the warehouse.
- Reduces operation costs – Using automated pallet shuttles can dramatically reduce operation costs by eliminating the need for multiple forklift trucks and operators.
- Reduces repairs and maintenance costs – Improved handling and a reduced risk of accidents means less expensive damage to racking, pallets and goods.
- Maximises storage space – Pallet shuttle racking helps to maximise the space available to you. The system requires less space than those that use forklift trucks, allowing for higher density storage.
- Increases efficiency – Pallets can be stocked and retrieved quicker and more efficiently, saving your business both time and money.
To find out more about our pallet shuttle racking and whether it is suitable for your warehouse, give our team here at Millennium Storage and Interiors a call on 01942 603 344.